Monday, January 3, 2011

Tangled? Life can be a lot like hair...

Tangles.


Snarles.


Rat's Nest. 


Our favorite in this house is Nappy Hair. 

My (almost) 5 year old daugther will ask me while I'm brushing her hair, "Momma, do I have Nappy Hair today?"  To which I'll answer, "Yeah, a little, but I'll be gentle and get the naps out so your hair is smooth and beautiful!" 

Whatever you call them, they're no fun!  Not only do they look horrible , but they hurt when you pull them out!  We have our share of tangles in this house with 3 girls, all with long hair (the baby's hair is getting there). 

We also have our share of tangles - - in life.

Everyone does.

The tricky part is getting them out, and knowing how pretty you want to be when they're gone.

While I was little, my tangles seemed mountainous.  My parents were my hairbrush; in that they were always there to help me through them. 

As a teenager, my tangles still seemed mountainous.  My friends, and my parents were again there to help me through them.

Now, as an adult, sometimes my tangles still seem mountainous.  And as a wife and mother, I not only have my tangles, but my husband's and my daughter's tangles to brush out too.  What kind of hairbrush I'll be depends on the tangle.

I prefer the soft bristled, massaging type of hairbrush. 

Sometimes, I have to be brillo-like and rip the tangles out.  Some tangles are just too big and I have to cut them out with scissors.  Hopefully they don't leave a short clump of hair that everyone can see.

Tangles or troubles, we like to appear put together to everyone we see and everyone we meet.  Unfortunately, sometimes the tangles that we cut or rip are visible to others.  Sometimes, we look at someone else and see many tangle scars.  Sometimes we see none. 

But I guarantee they're there.

Everyone has or has had tangles of some sort.  Some people do a great job at brushing them out, while others don't.  At times, we need another person to brush them out for us.  Sometimes, we don't see our tangles and others will point them out.  Hopefully, they'll be gentle with us so we can be "smooth and beautiful" again.

Either way, I am hoping to teach my girls to be good hairdressers for life.  Gentle with themselves and gentle with others.  It's a skill that took me a long time to hone in on, and I'm still learning.


So, when life resembles your hair, go find your perfect hairbrush. 

If you can't find it, you can borrow mine anytime.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! This is so sweet! Seeeeeeeeee, you have lots of great creativity in you! :) I may have all boys, but I may have teared up a bit at this one. Cuz I have tangles too....we all do. Even buzz cut boys. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!