Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Take Another Step

I started wearing a pedometer every day.

Today since I woke up, I have taken 10,598 steps.  That doesn't seem like enough.

This pedometer measures total steps taken, aerobic steps taken, calories burned and fat grams burned. 

It's pretty cool.

Except it doesn't tell the whole story.

I wish it could count the time I stand and clean the kitchen.

I wish it could count all of the dirty diapers I've changed...  we won't get into that again.

I wish it could count the countless trips I've made from the basement to the woods with a wheelbarrow to load wood into our indoor woodstove...

I'm currently working toward a goal to lose 50 lbs of "baby weight".  It's not really baby weight, although I did gain it all from my two pregnancies, and never lost it.  It should be called "lazy and made poor choices while pregnant" weight.  But that's okay.

Either way, I need to lost 50 pounds.  I'm in week 3 - week 1 I lost 2.5 lbs, last week I lost 6.5 lbs.  My weigh-in day is Friday, so I don't know how I'm doing this week.  But today, I busted my you-know-what.  I had the time (or, I made the time) and I did it.

I did 2 miles on the treadmill (it said I burned 400 calories), I did 50 minutes of Biggest Loser Yoga (it's not "pleasureable" yoga - it's lead by Bob Harper and he's a butt-kicker), I burned 250 calories playing Wii Fit Plus.

Tomorrow I have Zumba.  If you know anything about Zumba, whether you've tried it or know someone who has, you know that speaks for itself!  Can you say 1,000 calories burned in an hour?!?!

So, I'm wearing my trusty pedometer and logging the steps I take in the computer.  It actually downloads the information into a neat graph for me.  I don't know why.  Between the pedometer I wear on my hip and the inner pedometer in my brain, I know I'm doing my best.  I am making good choices with food, and I'm definitely working out.

So, tomorrow I will wake up and do it all over again.  I'll remember my goals, remind myself that I'm worth it.  I've struggled to feel worth it.  In this case, it's mind over matter.  My mind knows that I'm worth it, even if my feelings don't believe it.  Fake it till I make it, right?

I'm not looking for happiness, although I will be happier when I lose at least some of this weight.  I'm looking for health, and to be a better, more active mom to my girls.  My short term goal is to be down 25 lbs by my 30th birthday - in 7 weeks.

So I'll get up and take another step.

And another...

And another...

And another...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!