Sunday, January 8, 2012

Family Time (3/365)

Christmas is over.  But the parties are not!

Today we had our family Christmas get together with my mom, step dad, brothers and sisters and all the neices and nephew (just one nephew for now).  We like to do it after the actual Christmas season because trying to get everyone together on one day with all of our crazy busy schedules is next to impossible!

Let me start this off by saying getting together in big groups is stressful for me. I don't know why, it has just been that way for some time. I haven't always been this way, it's just that something has changed in the last couple of years and I have been a little more isolated and it's hard for me to be around big groups.

So, when I knew we were getting together today I had to prepare myself for half a day with lots of people, not in my comfort zone.  Don't get me wrong... my family is WONDERFUL. My two brothers and their wives are amazing people and we have a great time together.  My step-sister just got married to a wonderful man and we love to catch up.  The kids all love each other, are close in age and also have a great time.  The anxiety is ALL ME. And I can't explain it.

We had an AWESOME time.

My older brother showed up with the most hideous nasty looking brown-ish turtle neck sweater on (he is NOT wearing it in the family photo). I took one look and gave him the stink-eye. Not knowing if he seriously picked that out because he liked it, or if it was a joke, I didn't say anything.  Surely I am the one member of the family that says whatever is on my mind, usually without thinking. He was surprised that I didn't totally let him have it for wearing that sweater! Come to find out, he had just gone to an ugly sweater party and wanted to see everyone's reaction when he wore it!

My younger brother was there with his new (9 month old) son and his wife. My nephew brings me so much joy! He is so well behaved, and has the cutest little face. I just love him! And of course, the Detroit Lions were playing their first playoff game this evening and my little brother is NOT a fan. So, we heckled over this... We're 16 months apart in age, so we have a good time!

My step-sister and her new husband were there. They have such an amazing life! They always have great stories to share and we love getting to know her husband. They are a very unique couple and we just love having them there whenever we get together.

My mom and step-dad were in GREAT moods (as always). My mom lives to see her family together. She LOVES, and that's a huge understatement, to have all of her kids and grandkids together in the same room.  It doesn't happen often...

So I put the pressure out of my mind and just went with it. We had an amazing time, the food was fabulous, the kids had a great time opening gifts and we ended up staying until after the Lions' game was over (almost midnight).

I am learning to relax, go with the flow and not let my imagination run me so much. For me, it's a hard thing to do, but with time and practice, it will get easier! I don't want to miss out on anything... especially more days like today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!