Monday, January 16, 2012

A Friend's Inspiration (11/365)

Today I did a lot of reflecting.

I RARELY take vacations.  The last vacation I took was a 12-hour car ride with my husband to North Carolina to visit our very good friends for 4 days.  It was a blast!

But when I say vacation, I mean get on a plane and disappear for at least a week.

This is next to impossible when you have young children and any sitter you can think of has a job of their own!

So, I live vicariously through my friends that DO travel.

One in particular, goes on 2 or 3 vacations every year.  And she has some amazing stories!

After her last trip, she came home with some REALLY amazing stories.  Stories of heartbreak, hope and stories that have inspired me.

I think vacation and I think ME-ME-ME. Time off, time away, warm weather, no responsibilities, being served, being pampered - you get the idea.

I don't think about the people that live in this tourist paradise.  The people serving me, pampering me. I don't think about the fact that this is how they make their living.  One dollar to them is like one hundred or more to me.

My girlfriend left behind most of her clothing for the local people, all of her toiletries and anything else she could think of that would make these people's lives easier or give them a dose of a little luxury, that they so richly deserved.

She shared stories of hope, happiness (and a little comical drama in-between) and it really brought some perspective to my life.

I get a vacation every day when I have running water, toilets that flush, hot food on the table, children that have clothing that fits, freedom to drive my car (that I own) anywhere I want to without fear.

I can't wait to see the pictures from my friend's trip, and she has plans for more missionary-like vacations in the future.

Maybe I'll be able to join her on one. 

But if not, I'm glad to have a friend so compassionate and willing to share her experiences so I can be reminded how truly blessed I am.

1 comment:

  1. My toilet did not flush on two separate occasions this week - totally fixed now but it's our one and only toilet and I am thankful EVERY time it just flushes today. Can you imagine NOT having one?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!