Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kindergarten and Coffee (7/365)

Do you see what I see?  I'm on day 7!  Only 51 times more to my goal!  Ha!

Today I went to Hannah's Kindergarten assembly where she was acknowledged as Student of the Month for December.  I, along with my step-dad (Hannah's Bumpa) and my in-laws (Nana & Papa) sat patiently waiting for her to come in.  Hannah's other grandparents wanted so badly to be there, but work or illness didn't permit (but I took video). 

This was a total suprise to Hannah and she had no idea that we were there.

When she walked in, you could see that one by one, she recognized us and beamed with delight.

As each class was announcing their Student of the Month, I was watching Hannah. Perfectly poised, doing exactly what she was told by sitting quietly and listening to the other students as they were announced.  Then it was her turn.

Her teacher came up front and named Hannah as her choice for Student of the Month for December.  The theme that month was Caring.  The first words out of her teacher's mouth were, "I pretty much knew from the second day of school that I was going to pick Hannah for this theme."  So, instantly, I turned into THAT Mom.  Tears came flowing, as I'm trying to steady my video camera to capture this moment for my husband who couldn't take work off to be there.

Her teacher went on about Hannah's compassion for others, her superbly caring nature and what an absolute joy she is to have in her class.  After her award was handed out along with the t-shirt and bumper sticker, we all cheered and Hannah was allowed to come over and greet us.

We took pictures together and sent her back to class.

Afterward in the parking lot, my youngest daughter and I said our goodbyes to the grandparents and started for the car.  My Mom-in-law stopped over to the car and asked Ava and I if we'd like to come over for coffee (for me) and a mid-morning chat.  Now, normally it's just Ava and me at home all day while Hannah's in school and we fill our time with fun things!

But it's nice to get out once in a while and visit with adults, while the kids play.  Any stay-at-home mom would tell you that in a heartbeat!  So, we stopped over for what was going to be a cup of coffee and I'd return home to put Ava down for her nap. We ended up staying for lunch and 2 hours of great conversation!  What a blessing!

Today, I was filled with love and pride for my daughter Hannah - who, I think got a MAJOR confidence booster.  Parents, grandparents, if you can, if work permits (not all do), try to attend these things for your kids & grandkids.  The look on Hannah's face to see her family standing behind her cheering her on and showering her with love and praise was priceless.  It's something that, if you can absolutely help it, you won't ever forget!

And to my mother-in-law: The conversation and company this morning was wonderful. I hope we have many more days just like this.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!