Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ava's First Haircut (71/366)

Wednesday March 14, 2012

Today Ava got her first haircut.  Yeah, I know. She's 3!

But she has this beautiful long, thin, blonde hair with a natural side part, and she's never needed it to be cut.  But I've noticed the "V" shape in the back and decided it was time.

So, like the dentist, we've been talking about it for about a week.  And, like the dentist, she told me she isn't ready.

So I told her that she could just watch Sissy and me, and then decide.

When it came her turn, she did NOT want to get up in that chair!  We tried telling her that she would get a prize and a treat when she was done.  I tried telling her to be brave, and likening the situation to the dentist.

Nothing worked.

I finally picked her up, sat her in the chair and our sweet, sweet hairdresser puts this little teeny cape on her - it's full of wrongly colored animals.  Bright red monkeys, purple hippos - so we started talking about the animals.

It was like a switch was flipped.

She was instantly quiet, smiling and talking about the animals.

Our hairdresser even showed Ava her hot pink scissors.  We tried everything we could to keep her mind off of her hair.

And it worked!  Before we (and she) knew it, she was done, trimmed up, and she knew no difference.

She got to put a penny in a gumball machine and take two gumballs - which I think was the highlight for her.

On the way home, we talked about being brave and trying new things.  We said that sometimes it can seem scary, but if we just try, we will find that it's not so bad. 

And Mommy and sissy were right there.

Today, I am thankful for our innovative hairdresser.  As my blood pressure started to go up, she took over, oh-so-naturally, and it was like magic.

I'm also incredibly thankful that Ava, Hannah and I all got haircuts in under one hour.  I would love to grow my hair out, but getting a trim once every 6 months means I get all of my new growth chopped off.  Tsk tsk.

Stay tuned... After the girls' dance recital in June, we're gonna go back and have our girl work her magic on Hannah, who wants to chop chop!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!