Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Birthday Hannah! (69/366)

Monday March 12, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday to my daughter Hannah today!  In honor of her birthday, I am going to write a letter to her ~ if I could bottle the pride & joy I have in my heart for her I would...

Dear Hannah,

When your Daddy and I first met you we had no idea what was in store.  You were the first shot we were given at being parents.  We thought we were ready... we couldn't have been more wrong!

We weren't ready for your amazingly sweet disposition, your huge heart, brilliant smile or your smarty pants!  There's no way we could prepare for the package God made you into.

Things started out a little rough (if you want to read more about that, read this), but we made it through.  And on the other side of those rough nights was your smile, laughter, and sweet giggles.

As you grew, we watched you bloom into a sweet, loving toddler, and now an amazing little girl. 

Sometimes I wonder if you're really only 6 years old.  The things you say, the things you know ~ they're unbelievable. You continue to amaze us everyday. 

I am so thankful that you are my daughter. You are an outstanding big sister, you're mindful, incredibly smart, sweet, caring and just all around a dream kid.  I've always said that God knew exactly what he was doing - if I could have designed my own child, I wouldn't have come close to the design He had when He created you.

Please remember to dream. Your Daddy and I will do everything we can to help you see those dreams come true. 

Remember to be yourself.  You will always find someone who doesn't like you for who you are - no matter how old you are.  It's a fact of life.  Move on without them.  They will eventually either envy you or grow to like you.

Love yourself. Be proud of yourself. Stand up for yourself. 

Don't waste too much time or energy on the mean girls at school.  Whether they amount to something or not, you will always be the apple of Daddy's and my eyes.  When you're 30 years old, those mean girls will mean nothing to you - but the friends who stuck by you will.

Remember to pray.  Pray a lot.  Pray for your friends. Pray for your enemies.  Remember to thank first, and ask second.  You'll find that when you acknowledge the thanks, you might not feel the need to ask for so much; that God has already given you more than enough.

Always stick up for what's right.  Make good choices.  Think ahead a day, a month, a year.  Know that the choices you make today will affect the future in some way or another.

There's so much more I could write, but I think most importantly I want to say to remember to always come back home.  Your Dad, Sissy and I are your home.  Wherever we are, you are always welcome.  No matter how far apart we are, my arms are always open, and you will always have a safe place to land.

Today, and everyday, I am thankful for you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!