Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Close Call (67/366)

Saturday March 10, 2012

This evening we got a shocking phone call from our friends who had a very close call with disaster... or worse.

They are now faced with rebuilding their home and everyday lives.  SO MANY people have reached out and offered a hand, donations, a place to stay.  I'm sure they are just completely overwhelmed.

I think it's in our nature to do this, and not think twice about offering our home, our kids' clothes, food, money, or anything else when a friend or loved one experiences a tragedy.

I am one of the first people to admit that while I think there are many good people in the world, there are an equal amount, if not more, of the bad ones.  At least, they're the ones that seem to get all of the attention, so it seems a little uneven.

To the contrary, tonight I'm sure in this little corner of the Earth, the good WAY outweighs the bad and it is as it should be.

My husband and I are still reeling from what has happened - it's unbelievable to imagine that just one second earlier or later, or one inch this way instead of that, the scenario would have been drastically (devastatingly) different.

I look at my house and our things differently.  I look at my husband and kids differently.  I am looking at the people around me differently.

Situations like this help us to forget the small things that we get caught up in everyday.  They make us really appreciate the people we have in our lives - and they make us think of the people we don't have anymore.

It helps us to be a little more carefree, cherishing what's really important.

Tonight, I am thankful for my family, my friends and the thought that if something like this happened to us, when I look around I know that we would be well taken care of.  And when it happens to our friends or family, we know that they are well taken care of.

And nothing else is more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!