Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ava's First Trip To The Dentist (63/366)

Tuesday March 6, 2012

The theme in our house lately is teeth!  What timing was it that Hannah pulled out her first tooth just 4 days before our scheduled 6-month checkup?

She finally found her "tooth pillow".  It's a little pillow that her Grams bought for her at a craft show.  On the front of the "pillow" (think Barbie Doll size) is a small pocket big enough for a tooth, and in exchange, dollar bills folded in half twice.

When she realized that there was $5 in it, she came running out of her bedroom and wrapped her little arms around my waist and said, "You're the BEST, Mommy!"

I told her to keep her money safe and save it for a special something that her heart desires.

So, today the three of us went to the dentist.  It was Ava's first trip.

We've been talking about it for weeks.  I've told her that the dentist will tickle her teeth, that it doesn't hurt.  I told her when we're brave at the dentist, we get a new Princess toothbrush, our very own toothpaste and a toy from the treasure chest.  She seemed ok to go one minute, and scared again the next.

As of last night, she said she's "not ready" to go. She is too scared.

So I told her that we would tell the dentist that he could just look.  And I meant it.  If she's not ready, she's not ready.  She's only 3, she has her baby teeth, we brush twice a day and she loves to floss.  What need could there be great enough for me to turn this into a frightening battle?  None.

So when we get to the dentist, they call me back first, obviously because I will take the longest.  The girls came with me and were waiting patiently when they called Hannah over to the room right next to mine.  Ava followed.

At first I heard a lot of resistance from Ava - she was even afraid of what they were doing to Hannah!  Hannah got films done, a full cleaning and tooth count (Yup, still one down).

This in turn made my blood pressure go through the roof!  I'm sitting in my chair, getting polished, and I can hear every whine and whimper coming from my baby.  I can't talk, I can't get up.  I just had to trust that the technician over there had experience with kids and knew what to do so as not to disturb the rest of the office too!

And she did.

And then some.

She was a miracle worker.

And so was Hannah.

I could hear Hannah most of all. 

"It's ok, sweetie. I'm right here. It's going to be okay, just hold my hand", in her sweet motherly voice.

It went on.

"You can come and sit with me in the chair, Ava, and watch.  It doesn't hurt.  It's fun!"

"It's okay, sweetie. It will be okay. The dentist is very funny. And if you're brave he will do a magic trick for you!"

I'm laying there, mouth hanging wide open, and my eyes start to water.  My technician sees a tear drop roll down my cheek into my ear.  As she reaches for a Kleenex to wipe it up for me she says, "That is the darn sweetest thing I think I have ever heard.  You are raising some amazing little girls to have Hannah look after her sister like that."

I smiled with dental instruments in my mouth and was completely overwhelmed with pride and joy.

Ava made it through the exam which consisted of counting teeth and saying "AH!" and "Cheese!" for the dentist.  She had no fear. 

For the rest of the day, she told everyone who was on the phone or at our house that she was brave today for the dentist!  She was so proud of herself!  She can't wait to go back...

Today I am thankful for my daughter Hannah's sweet disposition (this is the real Hannah, NOT the one that tells her mother that "Your legs don't look broken, why don't you put it there yourself"). The way she calmed her baby sister, and was a true example of a sister and best friend just about made my heart burst.

I am also thankful for my daughter Ava.  She's my fearless one.  Well, almost.  It's nice to know that she is a little timid about some things and she can rely on her family to help her through those times and to try something new.

One. Proud. Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!