Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Doing Nothing Means Doing Something (48/366)

Monday February 20, 2012

President's Day.

No mail.

And for my husband, no work.

A nice surprise - he could have chosen to work for overtime, but coming off of a weekend without seeing his girls, he chose to stay home.

And on this day, we chose to do... nothing.  Well, something, but really, nothing.

Hannah had school as usual so after she got on the bus, I was enjoying some coffee with Ava while we waited for Daddy to wake up.

Matt woke up around 10:00 and decided to get dressed and start cutting firewood.

His butt never left the couch.

We ended up setting up the Scrabble board and played all day.  I write about our Scrabble experiences quite often in my Facebook status updates, but just so you know, it is our MOST favorite thing to do together.

Our ABSOLUTE MOST favorite thing.

I received our Scrabble Diamond Anniversary Edition board game as a Christmas gift 2 years ago.  For the first year and a half, we played Scrabble every single weekend, at least once.

My husband likes to make up his own words, so I'm always keen to check the Scrabble dictionary - often.  So much so, in fact that its pages are falling out, and Matt has handwritten some of his made-up words at the top of the pages.  i.e. "Fishrider - One who rides fish".  I think it's time for a new one! 

So on this day, with Ava being home, she learned how to spell a few words too!

We played best out of 5 games...  He won.  As usual.

Actually, I won 2 games and he won 3.

Not only did he win those 3 games, but in 2 of those games he played all 7 of his letters TWICE.  There's a 50 point bonus for using all of your letters on one word.  He SMOKED me! 

To my credit, I did come back in one of those games and beat him at his own game, so to speak!

Today, I am thankful for "doing nothing", and having such a great time with my most favorite person in the whole wide world.

"Doing nothing" today meant making some of our most favorite pasttime memories.  Maybe someday I'll beat him... err, SMOKE him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!