Monday, February 13, 2012

Life For Me (40/366)

Sunday February 12, 2012

I was recently told by someone that I should go to Disney World with my kids this spring so that when I blog I would have something a little more positive and upbeat to write about.

I was a little taken aback by this but chose not to let it bother me.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about this comment since it was spoken, though.  I know it wasn't meant to be hurtful in any way.

I went back to the first day I set up this blog.  I remembered what I was thinking and why I started.

At the time, I was struggling with depression, I had just gotten severanced from my job and I was not in a good place in life.  I was considering writing a book about my experience as a first-time mom - because it was somewhat traumatic for me.
I only posted 9 times in the first 12 months of having the blog running.  I never took the time to write as I got caught up in pulling myself together.

I blog because it's an outlet for me.  It's a place for me to go to write down my thoughts and experiences.

This year, I took on the goal of writing at least one time each day for an entire year.  In each post, I would add what I am thankful for that day, or with that experience.  I did this with the thoughts in mind that we should "speak what isn't as though it is", and "fake it till you make it".

If we can change the way our mind thinks - from depression to thankfulness, just by practicing every day, isn't it worth a try?

It's like praying for our enemies.  Why should we do that?  When we pray for our enemies, our hearts are changed as well.

I write about things that are on my mind, and very real to me.  I write about the subjects that the majority of people keep private (and some people just ignore).

I know not everyone will agree with me, and that's expected and totally ok.  I know I am taking a risk by publishing my thoughts - I'm at risk for judgement and criticism.

The people in my life are all different - with different outlooks on life, and different life experiences.  That's what makes everyone unique.

I think life is beautiful. I think the people in my life are beautiful. 

Some days, I will write about amazing, fun and upbeat stories.  Others, I will dig a little deeper and share those thoughts too.

I've never been a "sugar-coater".  Yes, I think life is beautiful, but for whatever reason, sometimes life is ugly.  There are mean, ugly people in the world. There are days when we wonder how we can go on.  And yet we do.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to air my thoughts.  I can't explain how therapeutic and freeing it is.

I'm also thankful for open-minded readers, both supporters and critics alike.

3 comments:

  1. Right. On.
    couldn't agree more with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can i be referred to as Macho instead of beautiful? I am a guy. :) Just remember as we have those who do not sugercoat things, we also have those who are strong enough to let their voices be heard. Keep talkin` sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny! Yes, I have er, Macho people in my life too!
      Thanks for your encouragement. ;)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!