Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dreams That Don't Come True (43/366)

Wednesday February 15, 2012

One of my favorite things to do as a child was to play school with my friends.  Back then, we had chalk boards and magnetic letters to use for teaching each other.

My dream since I was very little was to be a first grade teacher.

This evening, I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner and noticed how quiet my house was.  I finished the dishes, and went to the girls' room only to find them playing school!

They were both in their jammies, Hannah was in a chair at the front of the "class".

Ava was on the "reading rug", listening to Hannah read "Ferdinand".

Then Hannah stops after showing the pictures of the page she was reading to the class. 

She asked, "Now, does anyone have any questions?"

Ava raised her hand and asked, "Miss Hannah, um, can we have free time now?"

Miss Hannah said, "Of course! For five minutes you may read to yourselves."

So, Ava picks up a book, and starting at the beginning reads each page based on what she sees in the pictures.

Brilliant, I tell you!

I couldn't help but go back to my childhood and remember playing school with my friends.  I felt a twinge of regret that I never went on to see my dream of becoming a teacher.

But as I look at my daughters (they didn't know that I had been watching), I see brilliance in them - and I am filled with contentment.

I am content with my life - I am blessed beyond measure.

I want better for them than what I gave myself, and I think we are on the right path to that dream.

I am thankful for my amazing, beautiful daughters.

I am also thankful for dreams that didn't come true.  Had I gone to college, I may not have met Matt, and I wouldn't know these two beautiful souls that God has given me to bring up.

1 comment:

  1. You can still make that dream come true. It's never too late to go to college. Sometimes college as an adult is better. You have life lessons and experience you don't have at 18. I have done both...college at 18 and as an adult. I can relate to what I am learning now better then I could at 18. Doing homework with your kids takes on a whole new meaning! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!