Monday, February 13, 2012

A Little Pirate Action... (39/366)

Saturday February 11, 2012

ARRRRRRRGGGHH! (Insert Pirate scowl)

We had the best time today at Hannah's friend's birthday party!  We went to a place called Pirate's Island... an indoor water park.

I was a little bit nervous, wondering if there was enough Xanax on the planet to cover the anticipated anxiety levels I knew I would encounter.

I don't do well in crowds.

Especially large crowds of screaming, wet kids.

And with everything that's been going on with Ava lately (HORRIBLE 3's, anyone?), I was a little extra nervous.

BUT... This was an event for my kids, my friends' kids, and especially my dear friend's amazing little boy who turned 6 last week.

So there was no question in whether or not to go.

I prepared impeccably.  I packed different bathing suits (after all, I have little girls - decisions, decisions), many towels and anything else I could think of to help avoid a disaster!

My husband brought his suit since he planned to hang with Ava, who can't swim yet. 

I stayed in my jeans and barefeet.

We. Had. A. BLAST.

At some point, my husband was going down one of the water slides with my oldest daughter, so I was looking out for Ava.  She was playing in ankle deep water on a Pirate Ship, going down kiddy slides.

I got drenched - IN THE FACE - by a water gun mounted on the pirate ship - operated by "someone else's kid"!!  I was not happy, but wiped the water away and kept playing with Ava - who was having a blast!

When it came time to go, I knew it was inevitable that Ava would throw a fit.  I sat next to my girlfriends, ignoring her screams in protest of leaving.  I hid my face behind a beach towel, laughing histerically at one point.  She wasn't allowed to see any reaction from me, but this was too funny!  It was a laugh or cry moment - I chose to laugh.

On one side of me, I've got my amazingly strong girlfriend reminding me that she is looking for attention and NOT to give in.

On the other side of me, I've got my amazingly sweet girlfriend offering to bring Ava back in the pool.

We ended up leaving anyway.  I didn't want to see that twice.

So, as we're driving home, the whining ensues.  Everyone's tired.

We approach our street and I look back to the backseat and see this:









When we got home, the girls played quietly until dinner. 

My husband took a long nap.

I unwound.

As I reflected on the day, I was thankful I gave it a chance and "walked the plank" to an event that used to send me into somewhat of a panic attack.  I wasn't considering NOT going, I was just nervous how I'd do. I actually felt silly for feeling that way in the first place.

I am thankful to have an amazing husband who came with us and literally jumped right in with the kids.  I told him so later in the evening.  He also told me what an absolute awesome time he had.

I am thankful that my kids had such a fun time.  It was priceless seeing the endless joy on their faces while we were there.

I am thankful for my friends - who had it together and showed me that it was just fine.  Just go with it!  I see a strength in them that I envy - and they probably don't even know it.

I am thankful for the memories we made today - they are some I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... It is quick and easy. Thanks for your feedback!